Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Freshly Dug

I'm convinced that the cold winter destroyed my Elephant Ear bulbs. I had regular green that returned every year as well as Illustris Elephant Ears that were pretty invasive. Pretty to look at but if you plant it in one spot, expect it to forever thrive there!



I was told to be patient, that they'll come back. I still decided to dig up the bed. If I find bulbs, I know they'll return... After all, as you can see from this old picture, I couldn't get rid of them at all from that spot! However, as I dug up the bed, I didn't find a single bulb. I thought for sure I would find rotted bulbs or something but.. no. There was nothing!

I added cow manure and some fertilizer. I haven't added anything to the bed yet. I do plan to put Salvia, Catnip, Morning Glories, Hyacinth Bean Vine - so far.



It looks like the leaves are impatient again this year. As you can see from this old post, Wisterian Adventures, the flowers pop out first in full force and then the leaves come. It looks like the wisteria decided to skip tradition again this year.



And of course, an obligatory 'Do not buy Wisteria if you're thinking about it because they're totally invasive and will take over everything and spread for miles and miles and miles just like this sentence'.

2 comments:

  1. Only Chinese wisteria is a problem--the North American native wisteria is vigorous, but not as much and less invasive.

    And just as pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homebody - Oh wow, bamboo. I've heard of people who had to deal with neighbor's bamboo sneaking into their own yards.

    Kenneth - This must be the chinese then? The roots travel for miles. It even went under the street and started growing up the neighbor's tree.

    ReplyDelete