Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dragon Arum

Ever since I discovered Dragon Arum (Dracunculus Vulgaris), I've wanted to grow them. I love how wicked their blooms look and how it emits the smell of rotting meat. I even went as far as buying bulbs from two different places.

And I am sick of this plant. No matter what I do, I can't make it happy at all. I've tried several locations and finally left it in one spot since it reacts the most there. It will grow into a nice sized plant and then just keel over one day out of the blue. I think it may get to the point where I'll never see a bloom in person.



I was surprised to discover these though (late night photography isn't a good idea! hehe). I had no idea that the Dragon Arum even bothered to come up yet! We haven't even had warm temperatures yet. I checked the 10 day forecast and it appears that spring is slowly creeping its way in. Maybe this year will be better and the plant will send out a bloom that'll cause me to plug my nose as I pass by...

5 comments:

  1. Oh heck yes!

    I wish I had an outdoor space to grow these, too! I think the owners of the restaurant I grow outside of would object to it, so I'll wait until I get a house again.

    I hope yours blooms this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they're pretty awesome, aren't they? An unusual looking plant when it blooms. hehe.

    Thanks, Kenneth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should try the Voodoo Lilies. They bloom without even being in soil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MrBrownThumb, which Voodoo Lily do you mean? Dracunculus vulgaris is often called that; there's also Typhonium venosum, and others... I just bougth an Amorphophallus konjac bulb, which is also called Voodoo Lily.

    DragonStone, what are the conditions in the area where these grow best? I think they like it wet while growing but dry during nongrowing times. Is there any pattern leading up tto he keeling over? (Lots of rain, little rain, cats?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're in an area where they get tons of sun. I've tried full shade and partial shade/sun but they never thrived. The current spot is where they thrived the most and then it just abruptly keels over. I'll post an updated picture!

    ReplyDelete