Sunday, June 17, 2007

Possible Amaryllis Seedling?

I bought an entire new bag of soil and put a certain amount into a flowerbox. After putting the red amaryllis seeds in, I covered it with saran wrap to keep it humid inside.

One of them has popped out. At least, I think it might be. I don't know.

Amaryllis Seedling Amaryllis Seedling Amaryllis Seedling


There's a possibility that the soil may have had some volunteer seeds that came with it. I have no idea. I posted on a forum to ask if anyone knows that this is the correct start of an Amaryllis.

6 comments:

  1. You should have asked me sooner. I don't think that's an Amaryllis seedling. They're thin and green more like a blade of grass when they come up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was a fern seedling.

    None of them came up.

    I do have another pod and the seeds are dried. I could drop two or three in a glass of water to see what happens. But I don't know. I may just stick them in the flowerbox or save them and wintersow them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're going to try the floating trick? I tried that one for like two weeks and nothing happened. Then I put them in soil and a few days they were up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For sure no amaryllis, amaryllis is a monocot, while this seedling has the full charactaristics of an dicot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hendrik. It turned out to be some sort of fern-plant. They grow around here and I suppose some seeds got in.

    ReplyDelete