Saturday, June 2, 2007

Discouraged About Amaryllis Seed Pods

Man, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The pods on my red amaryllis have all shriveled up and died off. I don't get what's going on. I ripped open the tiny shriveled pods and all the papery seeds inside were white.



I took a picture of this pod yesterday. This was of the white/pink amaryllis. The four pods grew quite big and healthy but now they're all starting to shrivel up. I'm really baffled.

My online friend, who knows not a single thing about gardening, had pollinated her amaryllis at my request after I told her how to do it. She said all four pods took. Then she mailed them to me and I received them in the mail just yesterday. You should've seen my eyes. They about fell out of my head when I looked at the dried open pods. They were *huge*! How come mine aren't getting this huge? How can my friend be successful with these pods when she doesn't know the first thing about gardening (In case she's reading, Hi! :D Ha!) and yet I'm trying my best and I'm getting zippo?

Let's hope I won't fail so badly in trying to get the seeds to grow.

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad. I had an Amaryllis blooming a couple of weeks back and tore off the pods so they would work on growing instead.

    With that one pod you should still get plenty of seedlings. Trust me you don't want too many of them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because not all of the seedlings will grow into 'quality' plants?

    ReplyDelete