Thursday, January 14, 2010

Seed Pods/Berries/What are they called?

Pods of Yellow Thanksgiving Cactus

You know, I pollinated every single flower on the white thanksgiving cactus and not a single one took. I pollinated a couple of the yellow thanksgiving cactus and a good handful of them took. I was surprised.

The others in the greenhouse also have a couple of pods swelling up too. I hope to have many of them growing and producing seeds because I am tired of working with only one pod and the seeds suffer some trauma. I'm ready to have tons of these babies and try to grow SOMETHING from seed! ;)

2 comments:

  1. "Fruit" would be generally accurate, I think... I can't quickly find information detailing what type of fruit, however.

    I'll check back in a few months to see if the seeds worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kenneth!

    You'll be waiting a long time. hehe. It takes about a year for them to do their business. Also, I have no idea if the seeds will grow from some of them. I've read that some plants may produce sterile seeds because of how they were hybridized. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the seeds from the yellow is sterile. The plant has some weirdness that is different from my other thanksgiving cacti.

    I have fruit growing on the other thanksgiving cacti in the greenhouse so not all is lost. I did my best to pollinate as many because I want to work with a lot of seeds if I can. I just hope I have better luck this time around. I would love to be able to grow something new from seed instead of just making cuttings.

    ReplyDelete