Saturday, May 19, 2012

Asiatic Lily Leaves? Rooting time!

I came across this post - Propagating Asiatic Lilies From Leaves - and it got me to thinking...

May 19, 2012 - Asiatic Lilies that I grew from seeds.
The asiatic lily seeds that I harvested last year from a white lily that were cross-pollinated with who-knows-who, it was pretty exciting to see the seeds grow early this year. I wanted at least one to survive but to have a handful go beyond the cotyledon stage was pretty neat. I can't wait to see the flowers when the time comes (next year? two years?).

Then, coming across the site about doing it via leaves, I found myself really interested in the idea, enough so that I got my hands on rooting hormone so that I could give it a whirl. I had a lot of orange lilies so the idea of trying to make more wasn't interesting. However, there is one lily in the backyard that grows really tall and has these dark red/almost brown flowers. It's been in the backyard for years but only one ever comes up every year. After finding out that it was a gift from my uncle to my mother, I was more keen on the idea of stripping some leaves off and seeing if I have any luck in rooting any.



Eighteen leaves later, got myself a batch ready to go. I didn't use sand, as I didn't have any on hand, so I used the sterile growing medium. I dunked each leaf into the rooting hormone, tapped off the excess, and plopped them into each pot.

Now it's just a waiting game!

3 comments:

  1. Your flower garden is beautiful. I read one of your earlier post (2011) about seed pods from lilies. I was wondering if you might be able to tell me when I should remove the seed pods from my asiatic and plant them on the ground. It's been on the plant for about 2 months now. Any tips on planting it properly on the ground would be appreciated as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was just curious if any of the "Asiatic Lily Leaf Cuttings" produced plants? I want to try some this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I wonder why I never got notifications for comments.

    No, the method didn't work. None of them took.

    ReplyDelete