Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cucumbers and Morning Glories


I actually have cucumbers growing. The plant isn't withering away in the humidity in the hot sun or full shade. The cucumbers aren't growing all weird and wonky. It's actually pretty neat! With how dry it has been around here and the humidity being lower than normal, I think I might have a shot at growing a batch of normal cucumbers this summer! And to think I complained about how it hasn't rained in a few weeks. (It did rain on Sunday and the humidity on Monday caused a couple of sunflowers to fold over and break. The garden struggled in Monday's humidity, that's for sure.)


I've been equally surprised with the Morning Glories. I don't know what kind these are except they're growing from a pot where I put Crimson Ramblers in the previous summer. However it's clear from the flower's coloring that this seems to be some other sort.

There are several sorts of vines growing. I don't want to say the leaves are dinner plate-sized but they're rapidly approaching it. I had the pot in the middle of the backyard but from how thick the vines have been, I decided to lug this pot over to the fence so that they can have some support. It has been wilting in the sun but I'm trying to keep the pot watered in the meanwhile just to see what all the flowers are.



What is also interesting to see is that there's Daddy Longlegs all throughout the vines. It's like they've positioned themselves at certain intervals and waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment