Thursday, March 29, 2007

Yard Thoughts

Yarrow


I was just about to relocate the yarrow because they did so bad in this bed last year but I am surprised at all the new growth. They're even growing out of the bed as well.

Ants in Banana Plant


Ants have become a big problem recently. Two fire ant mounds have cropped up. One along the driveway and one in the backyard by the cement patio. There's a lot of concern when it comes to the dogs, especially the minpins, going out into the backyard. It makes it much more difficult for us to apply the poison (the bait that they feed to the queen to kill her and thus the colony too. It takes patience.).

Not only that but other kinds of ants have cropped up as well. I've seen lots of brown ants and tiny ants. I can't say I'm surprised. This winter was very mild so I suppose more ants are pushing through the area. This means I'll have to actually keep my eyes open when I'm dealing with pots as well. Lots of smaller pots have become homes for those tiny black ants.

No comments:

Post a Comment