Sunday, March 18, 2012

Amaryllis Overload

Yesterday I decided that with temperatures staying relatively high, that the chance of frost happening again is very unlikely. I dragged over the flower boxes of amaryllis that I grew from seeds. Then, for some reason, I decided that it'd be best to separate all the amaryllis.

The four flower boxes that contained amaryllis that I started as seed in 2010 were very tricky. Even when I washed out the dirt, the roots were still clinging to each other. A lot of gentle wriggling and I got them all separated.

The seeds I started in 2011 were all very easy to take apart. Just tons of tiny little bulbs.

With the bulbs separated, I started planting them.



Then at some point came the horror when I realized I could not fit all the bulbs in the bed. I had to start putting them back in the flower boxes and I am still left with many tons of little bulbs that haven't had a chance to be planted in dirt yet.

I really did expect to have all the room necessary to plant the seed-grown amaryllis. What I should've done was take them apart one box at a time so that I knew when to quit. My back, neck, and legs are killing me from spending hours on planting them all. I have to find out if I have any extra dirt sitting around so that I can get the rest of the tiny bulbs in the flower boxes. I'm sure they're happy to have the extra room, even if they were disturbed.

3 comments:

  1. That is *crazy*! I am not surprised you had that many amaryllis growing in those windowboxes, but seeing them spread out in that huge raised bed just kind of makes it real. Can't wait to see them bloom in a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want to know something crazy? I am going to start more amaryllis seeds! ;)

    Yeah, I'm a total addict. I don't know when to stop. I do look forward to the day when there'll be tons of them blooming and knowing that I grew them all from seed. It's a pretty nifty feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow ... I like ur ton of amarylis ... i have them all too ... 749 BUds :D for 1 time pull it out :D .. and more .. like a addiction

    ReplyDelete